Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chapter 6 Question # 2


About a year ago I went with my friend to a rave. I didn’t know anyone there except her and she kind of forced to me to go with her for her birthday so I went. This was my first rave and one of the worst experiences of my life. I remember standing there like an awkward turtle and not seeing one familiar face because my friend had suddenly disappeared in the crowd. All of a sudden there was at least seven different faces around me telling me to pop a pill. I have never in my life done drugs and I don’t plan to in the future. The peer pressure came on and continuously these people that I have never met before kept forcing me to do drugs for what seemed hours. I stood my ground and kept saying no but still felt like bursting out in tears. One of the guys around me even tried to stick it in my mouth forcefully. That is when I completely lost it and found myself listing out the reasons to them on why to not do drugs. They looked at me like I was insane and called me crazy and all of these other names as they left. Finally, I found my friend Sarah and I gave her a huge lecture on how she knows that I don’t do drugs so why would she bring me to a rave where she knows something like this would happen to me. She told me I need to loosen up a little, party hardy, and that I was making a big deal out of nothing. I still didn’t agree with her at all and this argument kept on drastically increasing. I then came to realize that we were obviously two different people with two different beliefs. What she thinks is okay to do, I obviously didn’t. This incident really tested our friendship.

3 comments:

  1. Shortie,
    That must have been a really scary situation. I have hears about raves and one of the stigmas that is related to it are drugs. It’s a good thing you did not do that because I have read that ecstasy is a really strong drug. I too was in a situation but in my case it was vodka. I went to a party and everybody with a friend and everybody was drinking. My friend kept drinking vodka and she kept telling me to drink some, but I did not want any. But in the end I did cave into the peer pressure and had one drink, and it didn’t turn out to be that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shortie,
    Your situation sounds insane, I also have quite a lot of friends that are into the whole rave scene and I have kept myself away from the raves for the exact reason you are talking about. Ecstasy is a dangerous drug, and it was good for you to keep your stance even if it affected your relationship with your friend. These types of situations happen all the time but a lot of people cave to the pressure because of their friends, I have one have caved under pressure a lot when it comes to drinking and what not with my friends. But I feel the same way as you when it comes to ecstasy, and feel that I am not one to take part in such a dangerous drug.
    -Mike Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, to hear about your bad experience. I feel bad about your whole experience. I would have to say please defined friend to me? Did you feel peer pressure because everyone seemed to do drugs? I would have left if I felt the way you did. There is times where even our “friends will create a surround we feel unwelcomed.” Yet, I may say a lot of my friends drifted away. There is things that I fell that’s helping in my way to my goals. I needed to reassert. Evaluate really hard, but I am only talking about personal experience.

    ReplyDelete