Monday, November 12, 2012

Chapter 12 Question # 1


Libra Daily Horoscope
Libra Daily Horoscope

Today's Libra Horoscope from Cafe Astrology

November 12, 2012


A Solar Eclipse occurs tomorrow, dear Libra, and this generally acts to stir up activity. However, considering the last New Moon was in your sign, overall this will be a calmer, less visible period for you. Nevertheless, important decisions may be required of you in the next few weeks, particularly revolving around personal finances and business, so today it would be wise to clear your head. Avoid the compulsion to control events today.

 Creativity: Excellent ~ Love: Good ~ Business: Fair






This was my horoscope for the day according to cafeastrology.com. I do not believe in horoscopes at all. Sometimes when I’m at the doctors or at the dentist and there is a magazine in sight, I will look at it and turn to the horoscope page and read it. However, I do not believe anything it says because the prediction isn’t really accurate. Some people really do believe in horoscopes and its true sometimes they are true for some people, but not everyone. I feel like there is a 50% chance that it may be right or may be wrong.  On page 381 of the text, Boss states the hypothesis that, “‘all swans are white’ was based on observations of hundreds of thousands of swans, every one of which was white. However, the hypothesis was falsifiable, since it would take only one swan to prove it false.” Likewise to my horoscope’s hypothesis, I will have important decisions revolving around finances and business.  I don’t work at my old job anymore or do not own anything so I don’t have any business, and for finance, I have a guarantor for my apartment at the moment, and I have enough money for my utilities and for other expenses from my bank. This is falsifiable because I do not have any business and do not think I will have any finance problems, therefore my horoscope is most likely incorrect.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Shortie,

    I agree with you that horoscopes are not precise at all. People think it is accurate because horoscopes statements are usually very broad. Moreover, people take those words because they are lost or they need advices. In your daily horoscope, it says you may be facing financial problems. If the statement is valid, then all of the people who are Libra will have financial trouble? I do not think that is going to happen with all the Libra people. I think you may read it as a joke or advice, but do not take it in seriously because it is lack of scientific evidence to support the validity.

    Thank you,
    Adrian 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shortie,

    I completely agree with you on how horoscopes are falsifiable. I like how you used the quote from the book with swans. YES, that is 100% true. All swans are white, like all humans have emotions. The horoscopes are so broad that you can easily attach to the meaning of the horoscope. It makes it so that a broad suggestion by the horoscope makes it seems so personal to the individual. It says it will be a calmer time for you in your life right now. But isn't that always true. You will have times in the day that are calm and times that are hectic. I agree good job

    Thanks.

    -Greekguy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shortie,

    I do not think that horoscopes are true at all either. I am also like you; I will look at it if it's in a magazine near me, but it's always wrong for me so I don't believe it. Something I don't understand is, if horoscopes aren't always true for everyone, why do some people still believe it? If horoscopes really worked, wouldn't it work for everyone? This is something that I can't seem to grasp. Maybe I should ask someone that believes in horoscopes! I mentioned in my blog that a lot of horoscopes are very vague and broad, meaning that anyone can interpret one prediction differently. I guess this is what makes many people believe in horoscopes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Shortie, I too do not believe in horoscopes, because they do not always if not always are wrong. I also have thought the same way about how it would work for some people and it would not for others. What is the point of life if we can determine the outcome of our lives? I have never believed in horoscopes and I never will, however because it is just a way for people to make a lot of money and anything could be said in the reading. I just hope that most people do not believe in it anymore.

    ReplyDelete