Monday, October 29, 2012

Chapter 10 Question # 1



This past week I feel like I have been a victim to all of the marketing strategies that were mentioned in the text. The text says that marketers come up with strategies to get customers to stay longer than they usually do to buy something they wouldn’t buy if they had been inside and outside the store quickly. According to the textbook, drug stores purposely make customers wait extra time while picking up prescriptions, just so they can make extra purchases. A few days ago I was picking up some antibiotics with my mom for her eye at the local Walgreens. While I was there I bought some hair ties, a notebook, and some pens. This was because I had some time to spare and was walking though the aisles simply browsing and had no intention of buying anything. But when I do that, I tend to buy something saying in my head, “oh I might as well buy it now because I’m going to need it soon anyways…” even though I really don’t need it. Every day I encounter many different marketing strategies and I always give in and buy something, which pretty much shows how effective the strategies really are. The most effective strategy is product placement especially when trying to promote the product. The least effective strategies are the marketing strategies I see in magazines, because if you see something in person it is more desirable and realistic. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I really enjoyed how you spoke about walking in Walgreens and how effective products market when they are in the store. I am the same way. I do not need something, but end up buying a $20 gadget that I really didn't need- it just looked cool and marketed well. I also like how you said you like real objects rather than ones in magazines- I feel the same way. There is something about picking up and feeling an item, that makes it that much more special. It really is so powerful - the ways of marketing- because it makes me go through all of my money. hehe. lol. Great post and keep up the good work,

    Greek Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shortie
    I totally understand where you are coming friend, being a victim of advertising marketing strategies. Usually when I am at the mall, I always tell myself that I will not buy anything. The only reason I go is because I’m bored, so when I want to kill time, I get hungry so I will go to the food court and spend money and then I see a pair of shoes that I like that are on sale so I want to take advantage so I do, but I ended up spending money I really should not have.

    ReplyDelete