Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Chapter 3 Question # 2


Rhetorical Devices use “Psychological persuasion, rather than reason, to persuade others to accept a particular position” The most common rhetorical devices are: euphemism, dysphemism, hyperbole, and sarcasm. In the past week I have used both hyperbole and euphemism. A hyperbole is an exaggeration or a possible overstatement. This week I was meeting my friend for lunch and she came about an two hours late. I was starving so I texted her, “Hurry up. I’m starving to death. I’m going to eat everything on the menu even the restaurant itself for reals if you don’t hurry up.” This is an exaggeration because I would not actually die from not eating, I wasn’t going to eat everything on the menu, and I was definitely not going to eat the restaurant itself! A euphemism is the use of a positive or a neutral term to cover up a negative term. Last week I was talking to my friend who had gotten fired from her job however instead of saying, “I got fired” she kept saying to people that her employers “let me go.” She was using a positive term to cover up a negative term. 

1 comment:

  1. I also used hyperbole and euphemism! I just realized how much we used those types of rhetorical devices. Not really to deceive anyone but it is just the way we communicate and express ourselves. I also use hyperbole in the same way you do like I would say “I’m so hungry I’m going to faint!” or “I’m so bored I’m literally falling asleep!” which clearly I’m awake since I’m saying it lol. It’s quite funny now that I realize how much I exaggerate at times. I also use euphemisms when I don’t want to be so harsh, like the phrase “pass away” for example.

    ReplyDelete