Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chapter 3 Question # 3



From this whole chapter I found the rhetorical devices most interesting. The four common types of rhetorical devices that are used to manipulate and persuade are Euphemism, Dysphemisms, Sarcasm, and Hyperbole. The first rhetorical device is Euphemism where you use a replacement term that has a negative association by a positive or a neutral term. In other words euphemism is a description in which something sounds less unpleasant or forceful, basically an understatement. The second rhetorical device is dysphemism where a word or a phrase is chosen to produce a negative effect. The third rhetorical device is sarcasm where we use ridicule, insults, taunting and/or a caustic irony. The last rhetorical device is hyperbole, which uses exaggeration. These literary devices are used for usually explaining a particular situation. They use psychological persuasion rather than reason to persuade others to accept a particular position. Most people use at least one of these four in their daily lives every single day because it comes to us naturally. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree rhetorical devices were the most interesting. After reading that part, I realize how much people incorporate these in their lives. I too use these devices as part of my daily life. It does come natural, and we don’t even realize how much we actually use this. We use euphemism to use to be less offensive about what we say. We use dysphemism to actually use a word to be negative. We use Sarcasm to usually taunt others, often in a humorous way, and hyperbole by over exaggerating a certain situation. We use these devices almost every day and we hardly notice it, that is why I found this part really interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought the part on rhetorical devices was interesting. I had not even realized how many of them I was using until it explained them all. I was also surprised by how often I use them. It is like you said, most people use at least one daily because it seems natural. I agree but can’t help but ask myself why it is that the use of rhetorical devices is natural. Why is it that we use these devices instead of just speaking plainly to each other? I suspect it is because the complete truth, although helpful in some situations, can be quite harmful in others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that you said that, most people use one rhetorical device in their daily lives every single day because it comes to us naturally. I feel like most of the content in our book are device that we use every single day, multiple times a day. But, the funny thing is that we don't consciously think about what were saying in this way. We don't use sarcasm or a euphemism and think, "Oh, that was sarcasm and a euphemism." It is amazing how relevant this course is to our every day communication, but most of our topics are things that we use naturally and don't put a lot of thought into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I believe that rhetoric devices are pretty interesting too. These devices are important in the way we speak to other people. These devices are definitely related to persuasion. I didn't really think about how often I use these devices until I thought about it this week. I use it as a daily basis. I usually try to persuade someone with either sarcasm or hyperboles. Either I try to make people side with me or I try to make then think the other option is not as good. I also try to be witty or humorous when I'm being sarcastic. I know we can offend people with these devices, but I try not to.

    ReplyDelete